Learning About Criminal Law Proceedings

What To Do When Your Paycheck Doesn't Come

Anyone performing labor for a company expects to be paid in exchange for this labor. Most employers distribute paychecks on a regular basis, but there is always the possibility that an employer can fail to complete payroll.

You have several options available to you when your employer fails to pay you as agreed. Understanding these options will allow you to take immediate action to recoup the wages owed to you.

Gather Information

You will need access to several pieces of information when filing a claim against your employer.

All of your personal information, including your employee identification number, should be included in your claim. You will also need the complete contact information for both the branch where you were employed and the corporate office of your employer.

A description of your job duties and a timeline of expected payments can also be beneficial when preparing a back wages claim

Talk to an Attorney

Once you have the information needed to file a back wages claim, you should meet with an unpaid wages attorney who has experience handling unpaid wage cases. These attorneys are familiar with the labor laws that are unique to your state.

Labor laws can be applied to your case to help you access the wages owed to you by your employer, plus liquidated damages. The value of liquidated damages in an unpaid wage case is typically equal to the amount of money owed in back wages.

Your attorney will be able to help you calculate how much you stand to gain if you win your unpaid wage case in court.

File a Claim

After evaluating the facts of your case and determining that you are a good candidate for an unpaid wage claim, your attorney will help you get the process started.

Some people choose to file their claim directly in a court of law. Others choose to file a claim with the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division (WHD). Both avenues can allow you to access the money owed to you,

The primary difference between the two venues is that a judge oversees the dispersal of your funds when you file in court, while a government representative handles your claim when you file with the WHD.

Don't let a missed paycheck cause financial strain. Work with an experienced labor attorney to file an unpaid wage claim so that you can recover the money owed to you by your employer.